Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Tying up the loose ends


Now sitting in my flat in Edinburgh, Scotland, about ten days removed from my journey, I thought this would be the ideal time to reflect on my time in Burma, as well as tie up some loose ends.

In my month there, I traveled countless hundreds of miles through five Burmese states by foot, car, train, airplane, bus, and elephant- to be totally inclusive. I saw more pagodas than I could possibly count, and got thoroughly used to speaking loudly in English with the expectation that no one around me would understand. There were a couple of things I wanted to see but was unable to, but these will forever be overshadowed in my memory by the things I did see. Bagan, Inle Lake, the Shwedagon, Mount Popa: so indescribably, breathtakingly beautiful, thinking of them now makes me miss my time in Burma desperately, and also makes me hungry to do and experience more when opportunity calls.


I tried to post in this blog as much as possible, but I obviously didn’t have the time nor energy to write about everything. For one reason or another the following things were left out of my accounts, but I think that mentioning them is worthwhile in order to paint a more comprehensive picture of the trip and share a bit more before this chapter of my life is closed.  

Scott Market

The Bogyoke Aung San Market was named such in 1948 when Burma gained independence. After over 60 years, its colonial moniker is still widely used (at lease in my experience in Yangon). The market is massive and quite easy to get lost in as there are many stalls that sell similar products, notably textiles. Built in 1926, the colonial architecture is well preserved as are the cobblestone inner streets. This was the first place I visited when I got to Yangon, and I stopped again shortly before leaving to grab some last-minute souvenirs.


SEA Games

The Southeast Asia Games take place every two years, and for the first time in quite a while Myanmar has been deemed stable enough to play host. When in Yangon or any other major city I found it hard to miss the ads for the games, with their inspiring motto of “Green, Clean, and Friendship.” What could be more eloquent? In Naypyidaw I got to see where all the action would take place- a couple of newly built stadiums in the middle of nowhere. All kidding aside the games should provide a good chance for the country to showcase some of the positive change happening presently. I’ll be rooting for the Burmese to win big. 


 Circular Train

The circular train is one of those ‘authentic experience’ types of tourist destinations. It’s a rickety old train that runs in a circle around the city, and I’ve heard it is used by Yangonites to commute into work. The experience is supposed to be authentic because you are taken through places that you would not normally see sticking to a sight-seeing itinerary, getting a glimpse at the conditions in which average Burmese people live. Having already gotten a healthy dose of this elsewhere, I didn’t see anything mind-boggling, and since it was raining for the majority of the ride I didn’t have all that much fun. Nevertheless, it was worth checking out.


8888 Rally

On August 8th, 1988, key events amidst months of protesting and strikes led the entire ordeal to be names the 8888 Uprising. Notable for bringing Aung San Suu Kyi into the international spotlight, the uprising was an important turning point in Burma’s perpetual struggle for democracy. Low and behold I was in Yangon for the 25th anniversary of the uprising, and was able to attend an event commemorating occasion. Thousands of people were crammed into a relatively large auditorium, with scores more outside watching via projector screen. You can tell that the country has progressed just by the face that an event like this openly took place.


Bago

Located about an hour outside of Yangon, Bago was the imperial capital of Burma in the 16th century. Sporting a reconstructed palace, a large, shiny pagoda, and several enormous Buddha statues, Bago was a solid day trip. Also of note was the enormous Burmese python kept drugged out by monks at a nearby monastery for visitors’ viewing pleasure.


National Races Village

For most of Burma’s independence, the government has been embroiled in a bloody civil war with various ethnic groups in the mountainous North of the country, among other places. The violence has mostly subsided at this point, and the government is definitely on a mission to make the various minorities feel included. Enter the National Races Village, a large park on the city’s eastern edge that showcases traditional homes, clothing, and lifestyles of the major minorities that reside in the country. If I didn’t already mention this, the Bamar are the majority group and inspired the British to call the country Burma. The name was changed to Myanmar to reflect the diversity of the country.


Chinatown

Not a whole lot to say about Chinatown. It’s not very big but it’s an excellent place to grab a bite and experience the kind of gritty inner-Yangon atmosphere that I actually came to appreciate and enjoy by the end of my journey. Also, cheap drinks. Enough said.

National Museum

This museum is five stories in height if I remember correctly, and covers many facets of Burmese history. A good number of the exhibits have to do with Burma’s ruling dynasties, and showcase artifacts from the various palaces not carried off by the British or burned by the British or, well you get the idea. The museum also showcases Burmese art and natural history. Most interesting object: a moon rock brought back to earth by one of the Apollo missions, presented to the people of Burma by the Richard Nixon in the name of international cooperation and friendship. What a diplomat.


St. Mary’s Church

This is the largest church in Burma and was completed in 1899. There isn’t anything expecially remarkable about it to my knowledge, it simply stuck out to me as a rare bastion of Christianity in a decidedly Buddhist place. The interior was very pleasant, the tile work unlike anything I’d seen a church before.


Karaweik Palace

Also known as the symbol of Myanmar Beer, a national institution, this ‘palace’ is actually a floating restaurant. I was told that it used to belong to the emperor and has since been rebuilt and refurbished several times, however I could find no evidence for that. Wikipedia says it was built in 1974, but goes into no detail. Maybe the truth is a mix of the two… At any rate I just had to see the image that graces every bottle of Myanma in person.


Traditional Dance

While in Mandalay I got to go to a show of Burmese traditional dance. It’s really hard for me to describe the dancing because I don’t know the terminology for the costumes or the names of the instruments that provided the music, but suffice to say that I really enjoyed it. Music was a mix of wind and procession, the melody provided by this vaguely oboe-looking thing that could have almost sounded like a jazz trumpet if played differently. The dancers wore intricate, brightly colored garments and each dance told a story that was choreographed with the music. This was one of the times I really felt I was getting a glimpse of authentic Burmese culture.

Inya Lake

North of the city, this lake is a great place to take a walk, and is notorious as a destination for young couples attempting to escape the disapproving eyes of their families. What they do is bring an umbrella along, find a nice spot in the grass next to the lake, or near a tree, and huddle up under it to escape any wondering glances. Two umbrellas for maximum privacy, as Anna phrased it.

Taste of North Korea

The restaurant wasn’t actually called that… but yes there is a North Korean restaurant in Yangon with real North Korean women working there. In what I can only imagine is some strange attempt at cultural exchange with other wayward countries, the North Koreans run this place and send women to work there, alternating the staff every couple of years. The workers aren’t allowed to leave the compound or associate with locals, so as to not get any ideas about trying to escape the lovely DPRK. I heard this all second hand so don’t believe any of it. I was there though. The food was ok but overpriced. At 8pm all the waitresses stop and perform songs. The highlight was when they manned instruments for a stirring rendition of John Denver’s Country Roads. Funny thing is, the singer probably really meant it when she pleaded for West Virginia to take her.


With a semester of hard work ahead of me at Edinburgh, I miss my time in Burma. I miss the warm weather, the flip-flops, and the excitement of seeing and doing new things every day. I miss the cheap chewing gum, Myanmar Beer, bootleg dvds, and driving around Yangon with the windows down blasting Burmese hip-hop music. Most of all I miss Anna. This trip was the experience of my life thus far, and I won’t soon forget it.

I want to thank a couple of people who helped me a great deal: Anna’s family, particularly her grandmother for graciously welcoming me into her home, and Anna’s mother for her hospitality as well as arranging all of the travel. Also my mom for unexpectedly fronting half of my plane ticket, and both of my parents for being happy and excited at what I was doing, rather than worried and apprehensive. My biggest thank you goes to Anna, who gave up an entire month of her summer, sacrificing time with her family and friends, to give me the time of my life. I can never repay her for that.

I’m not sure what I’m going to do with this blog from here. I might just end with this post, or rename it something else and go on posting about my experiences in Scotland and elsewhere. At any rate, if you have read this blog and followed me this far, I thank you and hope that you enjoyed sharing Burma with me. Cheers.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment